Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skid plates?

Skid plates?
    I want some as well...

Looking for Skid Plates I see!
    Skid plates?-sag_skid-plate_slide_home-jpgSkid plates?-huracan_skidplates_webad960-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cactus View Post
    I will add them. Have the lift as well. Seemed like cheap insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin_c_lee View Post
    seems like a good idea , for those high speed bumps !
    Quote Originally Posted by Urachan View Post
    Has anyone installed skid plates yet? And where did you get them?

Are they screwed in or just held using adhesive? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctaM3 View Post
    I haven't had to. I am considering it.

To be effective, they likely will need to be screwed in. The double sided stuff, generally won't last long enough, especially if you are installing them for the reason you're worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klauss View Post
    I do not have skid plates either but if it would be a supplier for them i would get some.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyc1077 View Post
    I too am interested in skid plates but mostly for when I am parking the car and misjudge the length of the car. I have the front end lift so am really only worried about curbs and wheels stops when parking
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Mark View Post
    Any update on availability?
    Quote Originally Posted by WLW@RSC View Post
    We are working on these next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX View Post
    I want some as well...

The ones I have are machined from delrin, not abs plastic. Delrin has a "self lubricating" property, like cutting board material. And much less likely to crack than abs.

Delrin makes for a great Skid Plate for those not looking to use an adhesive. We generally suggest using a silicone adhesive (non invasive since it can be removed with a little fishing line and some elbow grease). The silicone adheres better to ABS than Delrin due to its oily properties.

Unlike Sheet grade ABS which is extruded and not heat treated, Machine grade ABS is compression molded and then annealed via gradual heating and cooling. Both Delrin and Machine Grade ABS have high tinsel and impact strength, easily machinable, and have good mechanical properties. Both also FDA approved... food for thought. Nothing wrong with Delrin, we just prefer Machine Grade ABS for its strength as well as its bonding advantage.

What does "PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION SUGGESTED" look like? Can you post some install instructions?
    2015 - 610-4 - NERO NOCTIS - SOLD

2016 - 580-2 - NERO NOCTIS - ON ORDER

The installation is straight forward but having the proper tools goes a long way to making life easy.

1. Start by lifting the nose of the car up, (while we suggest using a lift so you can do the install standing up, two floor jacks will get the nose high enough to do the install, roughly 14 inches).

Should you choose to use floor jacks we suggest you put a hockey puck (available at your local sporting goods store) on each jack as a barrier between the jack and the frame (protecting the frame from any scuffs from the jack). When using floor jacks you must always ensure the parking brake is engaged, blocks are placed behind the rear tires, and once the car is in the air jack stands must be utilized.

When jacking the car up its important to raise both the left and right side simultaneously from the factory front jacking points (Just behind the front wheels on the Huracan). Two people are needed for this step.

2. Clean the underside of the bumper and removing any dust from the skid plates with a damp towel.

3. Apply two sided tape to 1 skid plate, align under bumper (roughly 1/16 back from the front edge) and press firmly to seat. Repeat for the other side.

4. Using the skid plate as a template and a drill with a 3/16 bit, drill the 8 mounting holes in the bumper. Repeat for the other side.

USE CAUTION WHEN DRILLING, being careful not to drill any deeper than the length of the rivet. Applying to much upward pressure when drilling can cause the drill to shoot forward when you get through the first layer of the bumper. Which can lead to damaging wire harnesses, hoses, radiators, the top side of the bumper, or other components behind the bumper. Placing a piece of tape on the drill bit at the proper depth is a good way to track depth. Using two hands at a low speed is recommended.

5. Remove the skid plates and dispose of the two sided tape. Once again wipe down and dust with a damp towel and dry.

6. Apply silicone to the top side of one Skid Plate. Place the Skid Plate in its mounting location using the 3/16 rivets supplied to align with the mounting holes in the bumper. Using a rivet gun, insert and compress all 8 rivets. Using a damp towel clean any excess silicone. Repeat for the other side.

8. Before lowering the car make sure to sweep up any loose rivet pins and debris on the floor. When lowering the car make sure to lower both the left and right side simultaneously (again two people are needed).

We suggest you let the silicone set for a couple hours before putting the skid plates to work.

The 2 sided tape, 3/16 drill bit, caulking gun, silicone, rivet gun, and shop towels are all available in an installation kit.

For those who prefer a nut and bolt rather than rivets, that hardware is available upon request. The front bumper must be removed for this installation.
    Last edited by SoundAutomotiveGroup; 04-17-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Anyway to install them without drilling into the bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Urachan View Post
    Anyway to install them without drilling into the bumper?
    Though I wouldn't suggest it I've seen installations with two sided tape.

Neither the Huracan nor the Aventador have any factory mounting locations at the nose that can be utilized when mounting the Skid Plates.

The mounting hardware does add strength but I suppose if you could find a way to hold the Skid Plates tightly in its proper position long enough for the adhesive to set it would hold. You'd probably have to let the car sit for a good 48 hours to let the adhesive cure.

Keep in mind when using screws the area around the hole gets compressed and can leave a little bump. By using the rivets supplied the hole needed is very small (3/16s) and by nature of the fastener doesn't expand outward compressing the bumper and leaving a bump. Instead in it pulls down sandwiching the bumper between the Skid Plate and itself. If removed would leave a smooth and clean surface.

All that being said, in all the years I've been doing this I can't remember a client ever wanting to remove a set.
    Last edited by SoundAutomotiveGroup; 04-22-2015 at 05:18 AM.

I didn't in my Bluhera Aventador... But I did on my Diablo Rosso and yes would recommend them to all of you ! But get a good set.. The ones I have on are Teflon and if scratched they will remain black and will not crack ! You can't tell but if you ever rub you saved money and since my car is lowered it was a no brainer !!!! Mine use all the factory holes underneath and have special bolts ... If they are use glue stay away!!!

Thanks for the info. Just curious - why do you need silicone when the skid plate is already screwed/riveted into the bumper?

Lastly, how much for a set?

Quote Originally Posted by SoundAutomotiveGroup View Post
    Though I wouldn't suggest it I've seen installations with two sided tape.

Neither the Huracan nor the Aventador have any factory mounting locations that can be utilized when mounting the Skid Plates.

The mounting hardware does add strength but I suppose if you could find a way to hold the Skid Plates tightly in its proper position long enough for the adhesive to set it would hold. You'd probably have to let the car sit for a good 48 hours to let the adhesive cure.

Keep in mind when using screws the area around the hole gets compressed and can leave a little bump. By using the rivets supplied the hole needed is very small (3/16s) and by nature of the fastener doesn't expand outward compressing the bumper and leaving a bump. Instead in it pulls down sandwiching the bumper between the Skid Plate and itself. If removed would leave a smooth and clean surface.

All that being said, in all the years I've been doing this I can't remember a client ever wanting to remove a set.