Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

580-2 and driving fun

580-2 and driving fun
    Greetings, Huracan owners.

I wanted to get a little feedback from those who own the 580-2. I’ve done a fair amount of reading of the forums, but I’m afraid the conversations generally aren’t covering my specific point of curiosity.

Let me explain. I’m an NSX owner and I’ve had my car for twenty years. I still get a kick out of it after all this time, if you can believe that, and I’ll tell you why I love the car: it rotates. And I really mean it; the car pivots, loves to turn, and I frankly look forward to every U-turn, switchback, and sweeper. It’s just so easy and so much fun to toss the car.

As you might imagine, I was looking forward to the new NSX when Honda finally got around to building it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that the new car is the car for me. If I believe the reviews – and I don’t know why I wouldn’t because they are all unanimous on this point – the new car simply doesn’t rotate like the old one. It’s not even close. All that technology keeps you from tossing the car around and, frankly, it all seems so antiseptic to me.

Now, finally, why I’m here now. I got so keyed up about the new NSX that I made the emotional leap and the financial decision to take the plunge. Yet here I sit looking at a car that I don’t want.

The RWD Gallardos always had a place in my heart and I love the Huracan. And now that there is a RWD variant, it’s really speaking to me.

I’d love to hear some feedback on the 580-2, specifically on how you find the driving experience – do you find the car tossable? Do the electronics stay out of the way until you’re about to get in over your head? Is it more fun to drive than the 610, if you’ve driven both?

And finally, just out of curiosity, is there someone out there who owns both a 580-2 and an NSX by chance?

Thanks,
    Deckard

580-2 and driving fun

Welcome to the forum. No LP580 have been delivered yet to US customers, in fact US dealers just got their demos yesterday.
    Speaking about NSX, one of our members mentioned that he owns/owned an NSX and now has an LP610, maybe he could chime in.

Well, how's that for an ignorant first post?

I was under the impression that the cars were in dealers as of November. I now see that those were European press releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I now see that those were European press releases.
    Correct. Still, what i can say for sure is that it won't dissapoint if you buy one580-2 and driving fun

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Greetings, Huracan owners.

I wanted to get a little feedback from those who own the 580-2. I’ve done a fair amount of reading of the forums, but I’m afraid the conversations generally aren’t covering my specific point of curiosity.

Let me explain. I’m an NSX owner and I’ve had my car for twenty years. I still get a kick out of it after all this time, if you can believe that, and I’ll tell you why I love the car: it rotates. And I really mean it; the car pivots, loves to turn, and I frankly look forward to every U-turn, switchback, and sweeper. It’s just so easy and so much fun to toss the car.

As you might imagine, I was looking forward to the new NSX when Honda finally got around to building it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that the new car is the car for me. If I believe the reviews – and I don’t know why I wouldn’t because they are all unanimous on this point – the new car simply doesn’t rotate like the old one. It’s not even close. All that technology keeps you from tossing the car around and, frankly, it all seems so antiseptic to me.

Now, finally, why I’m here now. I got so keyed up about the new NSX that I made the emotional leap and the financial decision to take the plunge. Yet here I sit looking at a car that I don’t want.

The RWD Gallardos always had a place in my heart and I love the Huracan. And now that there is a RWD variant, it’s really speaking to me.

I’d love to hear some feedback on the 580-2, specifically on how you find the driving experience – do you find the car tossable? Do the electronics stay out of the way until you’re about to get in over your head? Is it more fun to drive than the 610, if you’ve driven both?

And finally, just out of curiosity, is there someone out there who owns both a 580-2 and an NSX by chance?

Thanks,
    Deckard
    Hi Deckard and welcome. I have owned 3 NSX, several rwd P cars, M Cars and now this 610. I was shocked how easily this car rotates. If I dab throttle even from a standstill while cranking wheel much less going around a corner it instantly jaunts sideways. NO COAXING needed. And that's with all nannies on. The nannies catch it before you're fully perpendicular yet without retarding momentum. It makes for awesome yet very safe antics. I am sure with all electronics off this car would drift like no tomorrow. In sport it supposedly delivers 90% to the rear.

That said I would wager the 610 is a more fun car to drive than 580. Magazine journalists need something to write about. And they are all trying to show their mettle by implicating rwd is the ultimate in hooliganism. While it may be, make no mistake you can get plenty sideways in 610. And I think it is better because if you're not on a closed circuit you WANT that extra 10% pulling the the front wheels and resulting in flawless street drifting less the ruined wheels and suspension bits from smacking a curb (which by the way I did do completely unintentionally in an NSX).

Go drive a 610!
    15' Huracan, Brixton Forged, Fabspeed exhaust, Novitec springs
    68' Charger w/Big Block Stroker
    17' Land Cruiser - lifted & wrapped
    04' 911 Turbo X50 Cab16' BMW R9T

Hi Evoking,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I've decided that I won't decide until I've driven both.

I'm really looking forward to this....

-Deckard

Hopefully you like the 580 more - since its cheaper ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
    Hopefully you like the 580 more - since its cheaper ;-)
    Have you driven one? I did not so far but i will be next week at Munich for a private unveiling of a hypercar and i also definately want to test drive an LP580.
    The funny thing is that all the people that drove one told me that it's a tad more "fun" to drive than the AWD brother. It made me really curious!

I have not driven one. But it's always nice if ones ACTUAL preference is cheaper no? I prefer the 610 as I love it's world conquering capability coupled with the ability to get sideways and hold a drift at will.

I personally would feel less invincible in the 580 and internally would see it as the step down that it is - in both cost and performance. Interestingly Lambo sees it this way too. I wonder if they just need a message to "sell" it. For example I've owned several 911 and 911TT. A GT2 which is the 2wd version cost MORE than the awd version. Porsche actually invested in the 2wd car and made a concientious effort to price it at a premium.

580-2 and driving fun

Quote Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
    I have not driven one. But it's always nice if ones ACTUAL preference is cheaper no? I prefer the 610 as I love it's world conquering capability coupled with the ability to get sideways and hold a drift at will.

I personally would feel less invincible in the 580 and internally would see it as the step down that it is - in both cost and performance. Interestingly Lambo sees it this way too. I wonder if they just need a message to "sell" it. For example I've owned several 911 and 911TT. A GT2 which is the 2wd version cost MORE than the awd version. Porsche actually invested in the 2wd car and made a concientious effort to price it at a premium.
    You think too much about monetary value. While i'm pretty sure that the power difference of 30 HP is not noticeable, the way it's put down on the ground is different. The fact that 100% of power is sent to the rear wheels and also that the front axle is lighter because there is no front transmission are in my opinion the secrets behind the statement "more fun to drive". Cannot wait to drive one!