Lamborghini Wants To Make Extreme Supercars, Not Hybrid GT Cars

Lamborghini Wants To Make Extreme Supercars, Not Hybrid GT Cars
    Lamborghini Wants To Make Extreme Supercars, Not Hybrid GT Cars-qowszrqdcu9i64xlepky-jpg

"I sat down with Lamborghini's Head of Research and Development Maurizio Reggiani in Geneva to talk about V12s, SUVs, Audi R8s and the magnificent Asterion Concept from last year. And it seems like the Asterion is nowhere near the top of the list for Lamborghini to build.
    We have a pretty clear idea of what's coming from Sant'Agata in the next few years, don't we? Lighter and more powerful Huracáns possibly even with rear-wheel drive, an even crazier Aventador since the car was only launched four years ago, and the brand new Super Veloceshouldn't represent the end of the line for it like the 670-4 SV did for the Murcielago.
    The old Lamborghini V12 went from being a 3.5 liters to a 6.5 in four decades, and while they managed to add around 50 hp to the new one without increasing its displacement, that remains an option for the future.
    Lamborghini's previous concept car, the Asterion was a plug-in hybrid with a combined output of 910 horsepower. It also had the best interior this side of a Bentley EXP 10 Speed 6, and while the public loved the idea, Lambo's CEO apparently wasn't a fan of the tech under the nice dress.
    The simple fact is that Lamborghini is only willing to make "super sports cars," because as Maurizio Reggiani puts it, finding 110 pounds in a car that they can get rid of is hard enough as it is, and using the current technologies, they can't compensate the weight disadvantage of an additional hybrid system.
    910 hp and lots of instantly available torque would still make the Asterion a very nice GT car, but in their eyes, that level of performance is just not worthy of the badge.
    Interesting, considering that they've been working on an SUV for years now. Reggiani told me that's still waiting for the green light, so officially, they don't have an SUV project like the Urus that was supposed to go into production in two years time, perhaps even outside Italy according to some earlier rumors. That makes sense since their factory is running at full capacity and they don't intend to add more lines because "waiting for the cars adds value to them".2
    Either way, just don't get shocked if the production-ready Urus suddenly hits the stage in the near future at a Chinese show.
    When it comes to the Audi R8, sure, they share the platform, the V10 and a bunch of other parts, but don't hold your breath for a Huracán E-Tron, because you will certainly suffocate about a trillion times before that would happen.
    It's a shame about the Asterion, and Ferruccio Lamborghini would most likely teach them a few things about making a good tourer, but I get it, and as far the "super sports car" idea goes, this ain't bad." Jalopnik

Here is an interesting read. I personally like the idea that Lambo wants to delay as much as possible the stich to hybrid tech even if the change will eventually produce due to competition. Thoughts?

super sports cars, Keep Lambo as a pure breed supercar. Don't introduce SUV !!

Quote Originally Posted by xudaniel1949 View Post
    super sports cars, Keep Lambo as a pure breed supercar. Don't introduce SUV !!
    I agree but they can make good money out of it. I appreciate that Lambo wants to remain pure, unfortunately as stated above , competition will push them to go hybrid.
    2015 Verde Mantis Lamborghini Huracan