Removing the parking brake release cover

Removing the parking brake release cover
    Removing the parking brake release cover is somewhat of a mystery, as no instructions are provided in the manual. Additionally, on some cars (like mine) it is almost impossible to remove without breaking it. Here's a quick guide and a suggested modification to make removal in the future much easier.

To remove the cover, pull it directly back (horizontally). Do not pry it up. You may need to gently (or strongly) pry the cover away from the console with a plastic trim removal tool. A large flat blade screwdriver could be used in a pinch.

Removing the parking brake release cover-1-jpg

The cover is held in place by three metal clips. Some of you might notice the glue line at the base of the front clip (yes, I broke mine trying to remove it). BTW: Loctite Plastics Bonding System works great if you need to repair your cover.

Removing the parking brake release cover-2-jpg

To make removal easier, remove the clips, flatten out the ridges with a pair of needle nose pliers, and reinstall them on the cover. This will greatly reduce the amount of retention force they exert.

Here's how I mashed the clips on mine - before and after. The cover slides out quite nicely now.

Removing the parking brake release cover-3-jpg

That is all good,but why would one want to take this apart ???? That why we have Warranties,at least for a couple more years...