Picked up a 2018 Performante. This car is amazing!

Picked up a 2018 Performante.  This car is amazing!

Hey guys, finally got my Performante, figured I'd post my pics and a nice long review of the car for those who might be interested! I should thank those of you who chimed in on my thread where I was asking for advice on specs, it really helped me zero in on the right car!

Pics: Lamborghini Huracan Performante - Album on Imgur

This car is next level incredible.

Now that we have that covered, let me expand with a look at the past (Warning: very long post).

I have been fortunate enough to have driven and owned a fair number of awesome sports and supercars, and I think I have been on the car equivalent of what guitarists might call a "tone quest". I'm on a "Car Quest". Trying a bit of everything and figuring out what will work for me. In my experience, there is unfortunately no substitute for actually living with a car to know how you feel about it, a Test Drive only does so much. As much praise as a car might get in reviews, rarely are the people reviewing it from the context of ownership. So the cars I have owned in the past have greatly informed what I was looking for this time around.

I loved my 991.1 Turbo S, perhaps one of the best all around cars that blurs the line between sports car and everyday supercar. One of the easiest and most refined cars to live with, though at the cost of not being the most exciting on your average drive. I had come from an E90 M3, and though almost everything was a massive upgrade from the M3, I was particularly disappointed by the Turbo S's engine note.

The Ferrari 488 I had after the 911 was all excitement, perhaps to a fault. It taught me that a constantly "engaging" car may not always be the most fun to drive all the time. It could be a handful in the wrong conditions, and I also learned quite a bit about Ferrari as a brand, which wasn't to my personal taste. The R8 I traded the 488 in for, gave me a kind of this balance between those two worlds. It was immensely easier to live with and drive everywhere for a multitude of reasons. It boasted the everyday convenience of the 911 with a lot more excitement. The genuinely nice Audi cabin, seats and sound system paired with a NA V10 engine and a fantastic AWD system made that car one of my personal favorite cars I have ever owned and lived with. It felt like it could tackle almost anything with confidence.

Because I have a car problem, I wanted to see what the "next level" of supercar had to offer. I had driven the McLaren 720S largely expecting to find myself calculating ways to afford it after the test drive, but I found that car to be a bit overwhelming and perhaps even scary. The car is light, has an insane amount of power to the rear wheels, and is mindblowingly fast, even at speed! But it was a bit intimidating on the test drive, and I was worried that living with it might be a bit of a handful. I think if I were a better driver I might be less intimidated by that, but I think with this much power, in the real world there is a huge benefit to AWD. When you are driving around traffic, and navigating around other drivers and cars, having a car that feels solidly planted when you are managing this much power and torque is a huge benefit.

I genuinely love McLaren as a brand, and I really respect their business model and what they are doing to the market (even at the cost of their own used market), but I do feel like the cars are still a bit quirky and a touch unreliable still, but I think they are really close to making a really perfect car for me. That 600LT was damn close!

So this brings us to now, or let's call it last summer:

I went to test drive the Performante after my friend recommended that I check one out. I wasn't expecting too much, after all this has a tweaked R8 engine, with a marginal 20 or so extra horses and 30 lb/ft of torque. The car shares the same platform and they have similar AWD systems. I figured that as the glorified "Lamborghini R8" with a wing, it might be a bit more Loud and Italian, but effectively the same car.

The test drive, however, proved that wrong. The Performante absolutely blew me away and I couldn't stop thinking about the car. So I started studying the market and shopping, and waiting for the perfect time to strike. Eventually I found the spec I wanted on a pre-owned one at a price I was happy with, and I went for it. On a quick side note, I have to thank Lamborghini Dallas and Tactical Fleet for helping me work out this deal!

I don't think I have ever instantly connected with or been as content with a car I have brought home, and for the first time ever, I find myself not really wondering about what else is out there for me. It kinda feels like I have finally found my own personal dream car.

This is not to say I won't trade into something else down the line, though it would be nice to have this for at least a few years. But i'll put it this way: Whatever car I will move to after this one doesn't exist yet.

tl;dr: 10/10 would recommend

Incredible spec! Massive congrats!

You had the R8 in mind when you tested, i had the standard Huracan LP610 and it blew my mind.

On track, with corsa mode engaged, it has nothing to do with the standard Huracan LP610. ALA is really working, literally you feel in corners that the car sits on rails, it's really that stable.

Just saw your post on /r/cars, beautiful car! The Performante is definitely one of the best cars Lamborghini has made in a long time.

I also was offered an 600LT before deciding on my Perf but the screaming N/A V10 just sealed it for me. Enjoy your car!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    2018 Lamborghini Huracán Performante
    2017 Porsche 911 Carrera 4

I had the current R8 V10 Plus (4S) before I ordered the Performante back in November.
    Did various test-drives with the Performante and I can tell you for sure that the Performante and the R8 have zero (no kidding) in common.
    Once you switch in Corsa mode (Performante), hell breaks loose. Not only does the Performante exhaust sound louder and more aggressive (actually, it is the loudest stock car I ever encountered), the gearbox makes specific hissing and clacking noises when in Corsa mode, it is really difficult to describe but it feels as if you are in a real race car. The Performante is the perfect car for those who want the best combination of performance, emotions and reliability. The tech is bulletproof, which makes the Performante even more desirable because many super sports cars out there on the market have their issues.
    Cost of ownership is also much lower (at least in Germany) than for other cars in this class, specifically Ferrari and McLaren.
    10 years ago, when I was in my forties, I may have opted for the 720S instead. Now I am looking for an emotional driving masterpiece and the Performante is just that, a car which puts a smile on my face every single day I get to drive it. Can't wait to get mine in April.

Nice write up. CONGRATS!!!