Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some advice on Performante Specs/Options

Some advice on Performante Specs/Options
    Hey guys,

I'm new here but I have lurked here for a while and searched quite a bit to do as much research as possible, but I figured I'd join up and ask you guys some specific questions as I'm currently in the market for a lightly used Performante, one that I intend to drive a lot! I wouldn't say resale is the biggest factor for me, but if certain options will help on resale that would be useful to know!

I wanted to ask those of you who chose Carbon Seats. Did any of you regret the choice after specing them? They are generally fine but really seem to close in on my shoulders, however I do love how they make me feel bolted to the chassis, and how low they sit compared to the comfy seats, but I worry they would be so uncomfortable on even hour long drives that I wouldn't drive the car as much. I have a group here in Dallas that I go on spirited drives with fairly frequently, and I might take the car to the track a couple times a year, but this wouldn't be my main track car. It also seems like the cars with these seats end up commanding slightly less on the used market for whatever reason.

On the other hand, the comfy seats are super comfortable to me, even more than the Gen 2 R8 seats from the car I'm trading in. They definitely don't feel bolstered in the way the carbon seats are but at the same time I know I could go on long cruises with this with no issues. I work from home and don't have a commute but I did drive my R8 as much as possible, even though I have a comfy daily.

Given that, from your experience, which seat do you think I'll be happier living with for a few years?

Also when it comes to Sensonum, is that good enough to lose an otherwise perfect spec'd car over, or is the difference negligible in your opinion?

Finally, dynamic steering. I have only driven cars with dynamic steering so far, but I have come across a few that don't have it. Would you guys say it's worth waiting for a car that has it, or is it not a big deal?

One last thing, in your experience, what would you say is the spec you are the most grateful for making sure you had, or what is one thing you regret not specing?

Sorry for the ultra long post and all the questions, I appreciate all and any help with this haha!

-misha

I ordered a new Performante Coupe last November, with a planned April build.
    Just yesterday, I even changed my order (not even sure if this is going to work out for me, also a 2000 EUR fee comes in effect if they can change it).
    I studied the various options pretty well and I think I know quite a deal about them now.

Let me explain the options to you:

1. Bucket seats vs. Comfort Seats: For weekend fun driving, especially alone, the bucket seats are just fine and very sporty, maybe a bit uncomfortable but not as bad as many say. If you plan to do longer drivers and/or want to take your wife/girl friend with you, I'd choose the comfort seats. Passengers will complain about the bucket seats. If you are worried that the comfort seats do not offer enough side hold: They do, no worries. Unless you plan to track the car often.

2. Sensonum: Do you really think you are going to have the chance to listen to music while you drive? Or let me put it this way: If you drive mostly in Corsa mode, forget about Sensonum. Doesn't make any sense. If you drive more often in Strada mode, maybe. It isn't as good as the B&O system in the new R8 anyway (I currently have the R8 V10 Plus with the B&O system), this needs to be clear.

3. Style Package: If you choose to have (shiny) black wheels with your car, the Style Package is actually a must. Otherwise you get a dark grey matte plastic look instead. Works well (without Style Package) with silver and dark grey colors, also matte colors but not bright or very light colors.

4. Rear view camera and parking sensors (this could be standard in the US/Canada, I don't know): A must have option for the Performante because while visibility is quite good (you cannot really see the front hood or front side fenders though), it helps with certain parking/maneuvering situations.

5. Central lock rims (Loge rims): They look nice and I chose them for my car but be aware that by choosing them, your options for different rims (if you want some) and/or winter wheels (different rims with winter tires) will be very limited and it could get pretty expensive as well. Advantage: Stealing your rims wouldn't be that easy.

6. Tires: Be careful, the Performante is tire sensitive. Stick to the OEM Pirelli PZero Corsa. Some owners love to switch to different tires and often claim they are better, they're not! If you want to track race your car often, get the Trofeo R but to be honest, the Corsa is the safest tire for the Performante, especially in the wet.

7. Engine: Lamborghini apparently claims no run-in is necessary but if you want to have an engine with a proper power output and reliability, try to keep the engine under 4500 rpm and under 160 kph for the first 1500 km or so. Of course if you buy used, this is difficult to do and you never know what the owner did to the car.

8. There are various Ad Personam options available, including special colors. Matte colors need a special treatment, not always easy to keep clean if you don't want to hand wash the car all the time. Also, in case of an accident/repairs, special colors are more difficult to repair properly. Also more expensive to repair (if your insurance doesn't cover the cost).

9. Lamborghini Dynamic Steering: In my opinion, a must have option. It really enhances the driving experience because the ratio changes according to the driving mode and in Corsa, the steering is very direct. Not all drivers like it though, so you better take a test-drive.

10. Magneto-rheologic suspension: Also a must have, unless you drive on the track only. Bad roads make it necessary.

11. Lift: A must have option, do not buy a Performante without lift because you will damage the front spoiler at some point.

Have fun! If you have questions, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennteam View Post
    I ordered a new Performante Coupe last November, with a planned April build.
    Just yesterday, I even changed my order (not even sure if this is going to work out for me, also a 2000 EUR fee comes in effect if they can change it).
    I studied the various options pretty well and I think I know quite a deal about them now.

Let me explain the options to you:

1. Bucket seats vs. Comfort Seats: For weekend fun driving, especially alone, the bucket seats are just fine and very sporty, maybe a bit uncomfortable but not as bad as many say. If you plan to do longer drivers and/or want to take your wife/girl friend with you, I'd choose the comfort seats. Passengers will complain about the bucket seats. If you are worried that the comfort seats do not offer enough side hold: They do, no worries. Unless to play to track the car often.

2. Sensonum: Do you really think you are going to have the chance to listen to music while you drive? Or let me put it this way: If you drive mostly in Corsa mode, forget about Sensonum. Doesn't make any sense. If you drive more often in Strada mode, maybe. It isn't as good as the B&O system in the new R8 anyway (I currently have the R8 V10 Plus with the B&O system), this needs to be clear.

3. Style Package: If you choose to have (shiny) black wheels with your car, the Style Package is actually a must. Otherwise you get a dark grey matte plastic look instead. Works well with silver and dark grey colors, also matte colors but not bright or very light colors.

4. Rear view camera and parking sensors (this could be standard in the US/Canada, I don't know): A must have option for the Performante because while visibility is quite good (you cannot really see the front hood or front side fenders though), it helps with certain parking/maneuvering situations.

5. Central lock rims (Loge rims): They look nice and I chose them for my car but be aware that by choosing them, your options for different rims (if you want some) and/or winter wheels (different rims with winter tires) will be very limited and it could get pretty expensive as well. Advantage: Stealing your rims wouldn't be that easy.

6. Tires: Be careful, the Performante is tire sensitive. Stick to the OEM Pirelli PZero Corsa. Some owners love to switch to different tires and often claim they are better, they're not! If you want to track race your car often, get the Trofeo R but to be honest, the Corsa is the safest tire for the Performante, especially in the wet.

7. Engine: Lamborghini apparently claims no run-in is necessary but if you want to have an engine with a proper power output and reliability, try to keep the engine under 4500 rpm and under 160 kph for the first 1500 km or so. Of course if you buy used, this is difficult to do and you never know what the owner did to the car.

8. There are various Ad Personam options available, including special colors. Matte colors need a special treatment, not always easy to keep clean if you don't want to hand wash the car all the time. Also, in case of an accident/repairs, special colors are more difficult to repair properly. Also more expensive to repair (if your insurance doesn't cover the cost).

9. Lamborghini Dynamic Steering: In my opinion, a must have option. It really enhances the driving experience because the ratio changes according to the driving mode and in Corsa, the steering is very direct. Not all drivers like it though, so you better take a test-drive.

10. Magneto-rheologic suspension: Also a must have, unless you drive on the track only. Bad roads make it necessary.

11. Lift: A must have option, do not buy a Performante without lift because you will damage the front spoiler at some point.

Have fun! If you have questions, just ask.
    Wow, thank you for the incredibly detailed response. You basically addressed all of my concerns haha. It seems that my instincts were generally in line with what you posted, surprised about the sensonum though, because the bang and olufsen system in my gen 2 r8 was legitimately awesome, but it’s good to know I don’t need to sweat that option. Probably doesn’t affect resale much either then does it?

The comfort seats are a tough one because I found an absolutely beautiful spec at a great price but the problem is it has bucket seats and I really worry I’ll regret that decision in the long term despite the fact that I enjoyed what it did to the driving experience in the moment. That’s the tough one.

Great to know about LDS, every car I have tested has had it, and I know a few dealers told me the never spec dealership cars without that and magride. I’ll avoid cars that don’t have it.

Man I LOVE the Loge rims, I think they look better than Narvi, but I like the Narvi too so I’ll be happy either way. I suppose the Narvi would be much easier to live with and swap out if I want track or winter wheels.

Never thought of the style package that way, but it makes a lot of sense!

Again thank you so much, this is super helpful, and I can’t wait to find the right car and finally get one for myself!

RennTeam nailed it for you Bulb. I have has 3 Huracan, 1 coupe with comfort seat, the Spyder with sport bucket seat and now the Performante with the sport bucket. I love the bucket seats but they fit me perfectly. If you are a bigger guy, regardless of how much you drive, they will likely be uncomfortable. All the other options discussed by Rennteam spot on. Congrats--you will not regret the Performante!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctaM3 View Post
    RennTeam nailed it for you Bulb. I have has 3 Huracan, 1 coupe with comfort seat, the Spyder with sport bucket seat and now the Performante with the sport bucket. I love the bucket seats but they fit me perfectly. If you are a bigger guy, regardless of how much you drive, they will likely be uncomfortable. All the other options discussed by Rennteam spot on. Congrats--you will not regret the Performante!
    Ah that's interesting, so you actively prefer the bucket seat. Do you not find it kinda harsh on your shoulders, or are you just used to it? Have you done any long cruises in the car?

Thanks man, just need to actually find the one I'm going to get now haha!

Quote Originally Posted by bulb View Post
    Ah that's interesting, so you actively prefer the bucket seat. Do you not find it kinda harsh on your shoulders, or are you just used to it? Have you done any long cruises in the car?

Thanks man, just need to actually find the one I'm going to get now haha!
    I prefer the bucket seats as well but I think that I had to make a compromise, for the sake of my wife (and maybe other passengers).
    Also, to be honest: I am 53 years old now, always loved bucket seats (even have them in my daily driver E63 S) but let's not kid ourselves here, for longer drives, the (Performante) bucket seats can get uncomfortable, especially if you're stuck in a traffic jam.
    The comfort seats are pretty good, unless you use your car mainly for the track. Oh yes, the bucket seats look great but hey, do you want to drive the car or look at it?!

Some dealers (not sure about the US but maybe...) could still have some brand-new cars in stock, I would try to get one of those if (financially) possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennteam View Post
    I prefer the bucket seats as well but I think that I had to make a compromise, for the sake of my wife (and maybe other passengers).
    Also, to be honest: I am 53 years old now, always loved bucket seats (even have them in my daily driver E63 S) but let's not kid ourselves here, for longer drives, the (Performante) bucket seats can get uncomfortable, especially if you're stuck in a traffic jam.
    The comfort seats are pretty good, unless you use your car mainly for the track. Oh yes, the bucket seats look great but hey, do you want to drive the car or look at it?!

Some dealers (not sure about the US but maybe...) could still have some brand-new cars in stock, I would try to get one of those if (financially) possible.
    Ah this is great to know. Honestly I won't be taking the car to the track more than a few times a year as I'd rather invest in a dedicated track car.
    You know, if there was a dealer that had a 2019 allocation open to where I could order a new car exactly as I would want it, I would seriously consider it.

I was looking at used ones because I think if I'm patient I should be able to get one in the 275-280k range soon on a 330k ish spec, and that's a nice little chunk of money to save, potentially which could go towards that track car for example haha. It's less about the finances being possible, and more about me being able to sleep at night knowing I got a good deal if that makes sense hahah.

[

1. Bucket seats vs. Comfort Seats: I have the bucket seats, and yes they can get uncomfortable but I also got a purple seat cushion and sit on that for long drives. Similar for my passenger seat and they fit nicely behind the seat when not in use.

2. Sensonum: I have it and think it's worthless not sire how worse you can get without it. Just based on the cabin and number of speakers etc not really worth it.

3. Style Package: depends on color for grigio titans I went without, but if you change your mind you can always get it wrapped with gloss or vice versa get it wrapped in matte.

4. Rear view camera and parking sensors : must have

6. Tires: stock and plan to keep it stock

7. Lamborghini Dynamic Steering: I have it so not sure what it feels like without

8. Magneto-rheologic suspension: must have

9. Lift: A must have option esp if you plan on lowering but even on stock form.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaPerformante View Post
    [

1. Bucket seats vs. Comfort Seats: I have the bucket seats, and yes they can get uncomfortable but I also got a purple seat cushion and sit on that for long drives. Similar for my passenger seat and they fit nicely behind the seat when not in use.

2. Sensonum: I have it and think it's worthless not sire how worse you can get without it. Just based on the cabin and number of speakers etc not really worth it.

3. Style Package: depends on color for grigio titans I went without, but if you change your mind you can always get it wrapped with gloss or vice versa get it wrapped in matte.

4. Rear view camera and parking sensors : must have

6. Tires: stock and plan to keep it stock

7. Lamborghini Dynamic Steering: I have it so not sure what it feels like without

8. Magneto-rheologic suspension: must have

9. Lift: A must have option esp if you plan on lowering but even on stock form.
    ah this is very interesting, so what's the deal with that cushion and given that it works well would you still do the bucket seats next time around? What do passengers think haha?

I rally at the time with buckets and for a guy my size, no problem. My usual co-pilot who is my size but taller needs the cushion behind his back, but he also prefers the buckets sets if you are going to do spirited driving or track. If you are coasting around town all the time, go for your comfort. Still, i love the look and overall features of the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by bulb View Post
    ah this is very interesting, so what's the deal with that cushion and given that it works well would you still do the bucket seats next time around? What do passengers think haha?