Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Owner review of Xpel protection?

Owner review of Xpel protection?
    My car isn't expected to arrive for a few months yet but looking at various protection products and came across Xpel. Seems like the best product out right now but I've read horror stories about the clear coat and paint been damaged if you remove protection products.

Wanted to get feedback from actual owners on here who have Xpel or any other protection product on their Huracan... Is it worth it? Any cons?

I have XPel Ultimate (the self-healing PPL) on all of our cars, and wouldn't own a car without it.

I have never heard of paint being damaged by removal of the film, and have removed it myself from a few of our cars, without incident.

The protection is incredible, and when properly applied, you would never know it was there - in fact, it has far less orange peel than many factory paint jobs! (coughcoughcoughBMWcoughcough).

It does mar and swirl fairly easily, but the self-healing is not a marketing ploy - it does work.

Also, you can also polish the XPel Ultimate, with a light polish - I use Menzerna Micro Polish on a blue Lake Country pad, with a Porter Cable random orbital polisher, and the XPel looks like new.

For me, I like original paint, and to keep that original paint pristine. It would drive me nuts to have to detail a car with a ton of little paint chips or a speckled surface from the sandblasting that occurs inevitably. Replacing clear bra periodically is a no brainer for me.

Anima sana in corpore sano

^
    Very informative response, thanks and one other question for you, did you get your rockers protected as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lp580 View Post
    ^
    Very informative response, thanks and one other question for you, did you get your rockers protected as well?
    No problem - glad to help.

I am actually booked in to have the Huracan done this week. With my Gallardo (my Huracan will be the same), I did the entire car from A-pillar forward, A-pillars, extending over the doors (people were grabbing the sides of the roof to pull themselves out of the car, and thus marring the lateral roof's paint), small strip on the roof just behind the windshield, rocker panels, high impact area just ahead of the rear wheels, trailing edge of the doors, both mirrors, and high impact area behind the wheels (I did these in matte film, as this was on the black matte plastic of the rear lower valance/diffuser). I also covered the door sill (around the "Gallardo" door plate). I may just get my installer to wrap the whole car this time, although one of my favourite things to do is to detail cars, and what you can do with PPL film is limited - it certainly will never look as perfect as a fully detailed car.

Anima sana in corpore sano

I have used each of the XPEL products over the years. Recently, I have covered my Huracan and 50th Anniversary Aventador Roadster (& BMW i8) from front to rear. Every exposed surface is covered. I have been extremely happy with the product. Ultimate self-healing is awesome. I don't think I would ever go without pain protection on a car again in the future. I would say the key for success is getting an experienced installer to do it and ideally have a custom cut.

Happy to talk more if you have specific questions.

I was leaning towards XPel for my new H Spyder and Cayenne, however I have recently been introduced to Ceramic Pro. Still in the investigation stage on my end so anyone with experience of the product, your input is greatly appreciated.
    Instagram: ur55__
    YouTube: UR 55

2017 Huracán Spyder 610-4 / UR 55
    2016 Cayenne Turbo S
    2013 Gallardo Spyder LP 550-2
    2005 GMC Pickup (grin)

Good stuff TTbear, really appreciate your input. I've reached out to a local shop here in Vancouver who've done a quite a few exotics including a P1 so I think I'm going to take the plunge and get this done once my car is delivered.

Hey it's DoctaM3! Love your YT channel!

I have used Xpel protection in my Huracan all covered, till November 2015. It doesn't damages the original paint. But my advice is to find someone good on laboring

I just had my new H covered with it as well. Entire front end hood, fenders & front bumper & all. Not the sides or entire car though. Some of the other parts are about to be color wrapped satin black anyway like the rood & A pillars + mirrors & some other stuff. I might get my i8 done as well
    "Go look at yourself in the mirror & say "I'm going to win, I'm going to do this & no one will stop me...Not even you" #GrindOrDie

2015 Verde Mantis Huracan LP610 "Kryptonite"
    2014 BMW i8 "The DeathStar"

I have tried various products on my car and have Xpel on my H. Covered on the nose (ahead of A-pillars), the rockers/lower inlet and the hips in front of rear just like my Porsche. You guys are making me think I should do the whole car.
    2015 Lamborghini Huracan (5000 mi) DD Sun
    2009 Porsche 911 C4S PDK (26,000 mi) DD Rain
    2007 Porsche GT3 (37,000 mi) Parting out
    2000 Porsche 911 C2 Aero (54,000 mi) Track Car "Bumblebee"
    1995 Porsche 911 Carrera Aero(51,000 mi) Show Car
    1987 Porsche Targa - (90,500) preservation
    1986.5 Porsche 928 - (122,000) preservation
    1967 Porsche 912 - (93,000 mi) project
    2003 Mercedes E320 Sport (69,000 mi) Airport Car
    2010 Mercedes R350 Bluetec (34,000 mi) wife's